Kathleen Escarcha, staff writer
This story has been updated to reflect podcast recommendations from our readers.
Podcasts are booming, and the higher ed sphere hasn't been left out.
We rounded up five of our favorite podcasts that capture some of the most pressing issues in higher education.
The topics range from avoiding burnout as a student affairs leader to a professor who went the extra mile (literally) to engage her students. Here are our picks and a brief synopsis of each series.
1. Higher ed: KUT's Jennifer Stayton and Ed Burger, president of Southwestern University, host a weekly 15-minute discussion about on-campus issues. One episode offers advice for leading civil discourse in class, while another debunks popular learning myths.
2. Fanatical Recruitment: The host, Mickey Baines, interviews enrollment management leaders and industry experts to glean best practices about student recruitment. Baines and his guests discuss topics like coaching recent grads on your admissions staff and creating engaging recruitment videos. The lessons are applicable not just for enrollment leaders, but for anyone in higher ed communications.
From our Enrollment Blog: How machine learning can predict yield—and transform enrollment management
3. Re:Learning: The Chronicle of Higher Education's Jeffrey Young and Goldie Blumenstyk sit down with innovative teachers, ed-tech entrepreneurs, and others shaping the future of higher ed. A recent episode interviews Sarah Short, a long-time educator at Syracuse University, who reached teaching fame when she rode a motorcycle into her lecture hall—all in the name of student engagement.
4. Higher Ed Happy Hour: If you've ever wanted to steer your happy hour conversation towards the meaning of gainful post-graduation employment, this is the podcast for you. Three DC-based journalists and policy experts—Kevin Carey of New America, Libby Nelson of Vox, and Andrew Kelly of the American Enterprise Institute—dissect the latest developments in higher ed policy and research.
5. Student Affairs Spectacular: Tom Krieglstein and Dustin Ramsdell connect with student affairs leaders to ask them about their biggest wins, project flops, and daily dilemmas as higher ed professionals. The podcast explores topics like the experience of being one of the few staff of color on campus and how to avoid burning out.
Also see: 5 TED talks about education from 2017
Josie and The Podcast: Josie Ahlquist sits down with campus leaders and media professionals to discuss the intersection of tech and leadership in higher ed.
- submitted by John Rainone, president of Dabney S. Lancaster Community College
Compact Nation Podcast: Emily Shields and J.R. Jamison connect with campus leaders, artists, and activists to discuss higher ed and community engagement.
- submitted by Jenna Dell, a director at EAB
(Stayton/Burger, KUT, 11/7/2017; Baines, Soundcloud, 10/21/2017; Young/Blumenstyk, Chronicle of Higher Education, 10/19/16; Carey et al., Higher Ed Happy Hour, 8/9/2017; Krieglstein/Ramsdell, Student Affairs Collective, 7/18/2017; Ahlquist, Josie Ahlquist, 2/21/18; Shields et al., Campus Compact, 1/25/18).
Like what you're reading?
Subscribe now to see all of our latest articles, infographics, and expert research.
Subscribe today →
Next in Today's Briefing
How (and why) admissions officers are testing for personality