Competing in the Era of Big Bets
Achieving Scale in Multidisciplinary Research
By reading this study, members will learn:
- How can we bring order to the clutter of centers and institutes already on campus?
- How do we design seed fund competitions to discover viable collaborations?
- What critical business and operations expertise do centers require?
- How can we improve the quality of administrative support across all of our centers?
- How can we create actionable, consistent metrics for multidisciplinary units?
- What organizational structures and funding policies foster objective sunsetting?
Provosts at universities nationwide are facing a rapid proliferation of multidisciplinary research initiatives on campus. Despite massive investments and significant senior leadership attention, many institutions are struggling to bring order and focus to the typically unmanaged portfolio of centers and institutes.