- How did maintenance administrators anticipate and prioritize future maintenance need when developing a campus maintenance plan?
- Did an outside consulting firm design the campus maintenance plan?
- What was the timeline for implementation of the maintenance plan?
- Did the maintenance plan reduce maintenance costs?
- How did the change in maintenance practices affect staff morale? What strategies do contacts recommend to ensure that staff members support the new maintenance plan?
Facilities administrators can limit reactive or emergency maintenance by devoting more staff time to planned, preventive maintenance. This brief describes preventive maintenance procedures at four mid-sized public universities with a particular focus on the selection, installation, and operation of computerized maintenance management systems (CMMS), which are used to schedule preventive maintenance. The report also contrasts the preventive maintenance model with a long-range maintenance planning tool that emphasizes holistic maintenance planning.