This brief examines institutions’ practices for approving events held in campus spaces. It includes information about criteria and processes for event approval, oversight of the approval process, fee structures for event services and space rentals, and tools used to manage campus space.
Key observations from our research:
1. All profiled institutions offer use of student unions or conference center facilities to students, institutional departments, and external organizations.
2. Offices that specialize in event and conference services aim to maximize convenience and ease of use for clients in the event planning and production process.
3. Event management offices use proposal forms and the approval process primarily to gather information about events to ensure that clients can be properly accommodated.
4. Event management offices do not charge or offer heavily discounted rates to student organizations because student fees fund many facilities available for campus events.
5. Most offices employ Virtual EMS or Ad Astra for space reservations; however, some scheduling offices in other units may use different tools to manage their own spaces.