Institutions partner with local unions or industry organizations to provide workforce training programs for entry-level employees. This report details partnerships between institutions and unions or industry associations, academic structure of apprenticeship programs, and resources required to support programs. This report also outlines promising industries in northern California that might benefit from an apprenticeship program.
Key observations from our research:
1. Local industries or unions with labor shortages initiate successful apprenticeship programs.
2. Institutions award academic credit for apprenticeship programs.
3. Contacts anticipate an increase in demand for unionized ironworkers.
4. Advisory committees composed of local employers and industry representatives to ensure new program alignment with industry needs.
5. Campus workforce development departments assign faculty, secure course space, and provide in-person student services such as interviewing practice.