This research explores support services for online faculty. Our research investigates innovative and standard support services. Additionally, this brief examines the organization and assessment of support services.
Key observations from our research
1. Utilize survey and utilization data to understand faculty’s needs related to online training and support services.
2. At profiled institutions, faculty receive most support services through institution-wide learning management systems (LMS).
3. All profiled institutions offer stipends to incentivize the use of faculty support services for online teaching.
4. Contacts provide faculty with real time access to troubleshooting support due to issues in online courses that can prevent faculty from completing tasks (e.g., issues with a video capture tool).
5. Train support service staff as generalists to offer accessible online support services to online faculty.