- How do institutions define “civic engagement,” and what components are included?
- How do civic engagement leaders affect a positive cultural change in campus and community attitudes towards civic engagement?
- Which individuals and groups should be most involved in the creation of a strategy and vision for civic engagement?
- How do institutions coordinate an organized and collaborative approach to civic engagement that maximizes diverse student populations and areas of academic and extracurricular expertise?
- How do civic engagement initiatives reinforce an institution’s academic goals whiles simultaneously addressing the most critical needs of the community?
This research report explores institutional approaches to strategic initiation of campus-wide civic engagement initiatives. The report offers strategies for identifying the most critical players for a given institution’s civic engagement movement and how these leaders can encourage widespread campus and community participation in engagement. It also explains the process of establishing a unified vision for engagement, and how that vision can incorporate diverse curricular and extracurricular programs while reinforcing the academic mission of the institution.