Within broader diversity initiatives on campus, administrators increasingly seek ways to support student leaders in the creation of diverse and inclusive student organizations. This report evaluates institutional and student-led initiatives that promote diverse and inclusive student groups. In particular, it looks at multicultural affairs offices, diversity trainings and workshops, and student practices that create diverse and inclusive student groups.
Key observations from our research:
1. Multicultural affairs staff provide diversity training and advising to student organizations.
2. Administrators integrate diversity education throughout the curriculum and community to create inclusive campus environments.
3. Students establish ‘umbrella’ organizations that build diversity awareness through programming, performances, and educational events.
4. Administrators assess diversity and inclusion through institution-wide campus climate surveys.
5. Students seek organizations that provide cross-cultural experiences.
Download the Report