This report investigates how faculty affairs offices are structured, their services and responsibilities, and impact on campus.
Key observations from our research
1. The associate vice provost of faculty affairs leads the faculty support unit.
2. Most faculty support unit directors do not oversee faculty recruitment.
3. The faculty affairs unit serves in an advisory role during promotion and tenure processes.
4. Faculty support unit directors liaise with the HR department to process new faculty contracts and make changes to existing labor contracts.
5. Targeted emails and information sessions for new faculty about the faculty support unit's services are the most effective marketing strategies.
6. Impact assessment, low faculty engagement, and difficulty streamlining administrative processes remain challenges for faculty support.
7. Faculty support unit impact assessment is anecdotal.