This project examines the benefits, implementation strategy, and success of dual language immersion programs in elementary schools.
Key observations from our research
1. Dual language immersion provides academic and cultural benefits to both English-proficient and English language learner (ELL) students.
2. Involve internal (i.e., teachers, school board, school administrators) and external (i.e., parents, community members) stakeholders in dual language immersion program design and implementation to secure their support.
3. Partner with community leaders to promote awareness of program goals and structure.
4. Sustain momentum after initial implementation by educating stakeholders on an ongoing basis about program progress and outcomes.
5. Anticipate teacher recruitment as a primary challenge to program success and barrier to program expansion. Depending on location, partnering with local colleges and universities may ease this challenge.