This brief examines the organization of business contract management within university systems. Specifically, this research will study the organizational structure supporting procurement and contract management, how administrators implement this structure, and how administrators assess the success of their offices.
Key observations from our research
1. Employ procurement specialists to purchase department-specific commodities.
2. The university system procurement unit approves institutional procurement processes over $10,000.
3. Hire procurement staff with bachelor's degrees and strong communication, critical thinking, and customer service skills.
4. Recruit procurement personnel and purchase procurement technology to launch a university system procurement unit.
5. Administrators evaluate institutional budget surplus and increased procurement process efficiencies to determine university system procurement unit impact.